Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

How I made a 50 cent dog toy

When we took Dex to Pugmania, we bought him this dog toy for a dollar that was nothing more than cloth braided together into a rope.  He loved it, but when he had tummy troubles this past week, it had to be thrown away.  I decided to try to recreate it, in the hopes of making a sick doggie happy.

I went and bought a clearance fabric remnant that was 20 inches wide, and 1 yard 22 inches long.  Total price was $1.93
I cut strips the entire length of the cloth, about 1.5-2 inches in width.
I folded creased the pieces, widthwise, and secured each end with a safety pin to hold the fold.
I then took all three pieces, and knotted them together on one end.
With the one end secured with the knot, I began to then braid the three strands of cloth.
I then continued to braid down, until there was about 2 inches of fabric left. 

I secured the other end with a knot, removed all six safety pins, and it was ready to go!

Now it was time for the test.  Would Dexter like it?

He promptly took the toy into his crate to play with it, a sure seal of approval.

There was enough fabric left to make 3 more toys at least, so the cost of this toy was around 50 cents.  Given how quickly he chews dog toys up, I think this was a pretty good bargain!

7 comments:

A MilShelb Mom said...

Good bargain and a great toy! Milly and Shelby love rope toys. Great idea. I'm probably going to steal this! :)
~Maggie

ok said...

By all means! That is why I posted instructions. Just keep a look out for lose threads, so they do not eat them!

kalyxcorn said...

whee! homemade toys are da best!! :)

Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Genius! I think I might make these for all of my friends with dogs and WOW them, as I'm not exactly known for my love of dogs!

I'm your newest follower via TAT!

Unknown said...

This material is so pretty. I love that he couldn't wait to take it home.

Thanks for stopping by.

Nico and The Bandit said...

Very clever!

Mrs. A said...

Hey there! I'm a new follower from Friday Follow. My dog's name is Dexter too. And I'm your 100th follower. Woohoo! I hope you can stop by my blog as well.
www.thelifeofmrssa.blogspot.com