Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Poor Kitty

Well this week we did something that we sincerely hoped to avoid.  It was probably the most difficult decision I have made regarding my pets.  Yesterday, we had Nora declawed.
012


When I first got Nora, she never really clawed anything, and I did not have any nice furniture to worry about, so, no harm no foul.

When Hubby and I started dating, and since we have gotten married, Nora warmed up to him better than she does most people.  However, she does get territorial sometimes, and dislikes it when Hubby is in the kitchen.  She finds him there, and swipes.  Also, she swipes when he walks up the stairs.  More than a few times, she has drawn blood.  I get frustrated when she hurts him.

Then, she started clawing our new furniture.  In less than a year, she destroyed our brand new couch.

We got to a point where the Soft Paw nail caps were no longer working, and she could not be distracted by scratching toys.

So, our choices were declaw her, or get rid of her.  And we did not want to get rid of her, so...

001

Tuesday, Nora came home from surgery.  She is happy and well.  No bandages, or stitches.  Her nail beds are glued closed.  She is eating, and purring, and doing well.  The only problem is trying to keep her confined to one room so she does not run down the stairs.

I know a lot of people disagree with declawing cats, and I assure you, this was not a decision I took lightly.  But in my heart I think we made the right choice.

No comments: